Friday, July 25, 2008

Oh yeah, the review of that super amazing show July 19...

I thought it was cruel when Pitchfork divided two of the artists I gave a crap about into different days, so when I initially caught wind of this Bottom Lounge show on Cheap Time's MySpace I was pretty excited. There was also some fear that it would somehow suck since I was so stoked, but it in no way sucked. Tim and I got there early and found regular customer Shaun at the bar and hung out with him 'til doors. I lingered around until it looked necessary to grab a spot at the front of the stage and I somehow managed to maintain it the whole evening. The Duchess and the Duke were pleasant enough and didn't incite the crowd to riot. A/V Murder were tough as shit. I will absolutely make sure I see them again. Cheap Time started out with the slow building then exploding all over your face "Trip to the Zoo" and kept right on going. The crowd was an odd mix of dudes who had been at P4k all day drinking and other folks who knew that was the best thing going on all weekend, and the collision in the "mosh pit" of the two was pretty silly. While I may be a little rusty in the "mosh" department I will say it would have taken like 10 of those kids at once to even budge me. I did get a few hard earned bruises. Oh yeah back to Cheap Time... so good! I could barely contain my pogo during "People Talk". Buy their album! Then there was Jay Reatard! Seeing him live is a whole 'nother story from listening to his records, because they play the songs so damn fast and hard that you barely realize what song it was before they start the next. I know he yells them out to the band but you kinda can't understand that either. Asian Paul flanked Melissa and I up front, which was nice to have someone sing and swoon along with. (Melissa may try and deny this, but I think she was swoony a bit.) While it seems crazy to think anyone could follow up The Jay Reatard Experience, sho nuff King Khan and his Shrines did so! It was their first US tour, and I don't know if this country is yet ready for them. The show was everything I hoped for, though it seems a bit silly that "moshing" continued during their horn-drenched stomping go-go soul, but so it went. There was also the girl kneeling on stage in between the monitors that was a "huh?" Oh well, I was scouring the room for my ass afterwards because I danced it right off. BEST SHOW EVER, and too drained for the Fest on Sunday. Crappy photos here.

(Oh, yet it might get a run for its money with King Khan and BBQ Show back at the Bottom Lounge on Halloween! yeehaw!)

No comments: