Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Gary Louris - Vagabonds

I am a long-time Gary Louris lover. I probably liked the Jayhawks and Golden Smog before I ever got into that Wilco band. This first solo album from Louris is not going to shock any Jayhawks' fans. If you like easy 70s midtempo rock you will totally dig this, and as a fan of said genre I do not mean that as an insult. Chris Robinson (yeah, that guy) produced it and I think he did a really good job! The vinyl (released a few weeks before) sounds beautiful and has a gratuitous sepia-toned jamming in the studio gatefold that also hearkens back to the 70s. There are also more marijuana references on this one album than on any previous Jayhawks release (which I don't think there were any). There are lovely harmonies used sparingly and to great effect. I read that Robinson also produced the forthcoming Gary Louris/Mark Olson album also due this year, so yay!

No comments: