Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Slappy and the Stinkers



I actually made it through this film. What does it say about me that I enjoyed this 1998 children's screwball comedy more than License to Wed? I watched this film solely for Bronson Pinchot, who was described on Netflix as a heartless mercenary. Thankfully he does NOT play that role, instead he is an Ottoman-type bus driver/groundskeeper at the snooty private school the Stinkers attend. So these meddling kids, unpopular amongst the snooty kids, torment the principal (played by B. D. Wong) and rescue a sea lion from an aquarium field trip. Oh yeah, there is a heartless mercenary after Slappy trying to steal him to sell him to a Bulgarian circus. Whatever. Jennifer Coolidge is also in it playing... I'm not really sure, her role is never defined. Lackey to the principal? I guess this is the best sea lion slapstick children's comedy I have ever seen. The children are pretty decent actors, and not too irritating, which was surprising. It probably would have been better if I had a lot of beer or something.

No comments: